Make a Pretty Princess Kid's Halloween Costume
She'll be the belle of Halloween night with this pretty princess costume, handmade in no time.
What You'll Need
- 1-1/2 yards of 54-inch-wide pink satin
- Fray Check (available at crafts stores) or clear nail polish
- Needle and thread
- 1-1/2-inch-wide purple wire-edge ribbon
- 1/4 yard of quilted polyester fabric
- Glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- 2/3 yard of 1/2-inch wide sequined trim
- 2/3 yard of 2-inch-wide white fur trim
- 1-1/2 yards of pink netting
- White elastic cord
How to Make It
- Download the free hat and skirt patterns.
- For the skirt, fold the pink satin in half. Determine the length of the skirt (measure your child from hips to feet) and mark the fabric. Measure the child's waist; multiply the measurement by 1-1/2 and divide by 2. Mark the new measurement on the top edge of the folded fabric. Referring to the pattern, draw scallops along the hemline. Cut out the skirt, and apply Fray Check to the edges.
- Run gathering stitches along the waistline. Gather the skirt to fit. Cut purple ribbon to fit around your child's waist measurement plus 36 inches. Center and sew the ribbon atop the gathers. Cut another piece of ribbon to fit the waist. Stitch it to the inside of the waistband.
- For the hat, cut one hat pattern shape each from the satin and quilted fabric. With right sides facing, stitch the shapes together, leaving an opening on one side for turning. Turn right side out. Sew the opening closed.
- Fold the hat in half with the satin side on the inside of the fold. Sew the straight edges together. Hot-glue the sequined and fur trims around the bottom. Turn the hat right side out. Turn up the decorated brim.
- Stitch the center of the netting to the tip of the hat, and then push the tip down into the hat 1 inch. Add an elastic-cord chin strap.