Pirate Halloween Costume for Kids
Make a pirate Halloween costume for your child that's perfectly suited for hunting down lost treasures (and trick-or-treat goodies).
What You'll Need
- 3/4 yard of 72-inch-wide black felt
- 5/8-inch-wide gold ribbon
- Jumbo black-and-white rickrack
- 1-1/2 yards of gold cord
- Darning needle and thread
- Stiff white felt
- Fabric glue
- Foil tape
- 1/4 yard of 54-inch-wide black faux leather
How to Make It
- Download the free patterns. Enlarge the hat pattern according to the size of your child's head, and enlarge the skull-and-crossbones pattern to fit onto the hat. Enlarge the belt pattern 200 percent.
- For the vest, use a shirt that fits your child to create the pattern. Trace around the shirt onto black felt. Cut a front vest piece from the felt, referring to the diagram. Cut a matching back piece, omitting the V-neck. Cut the front piece vertically down the center, making two equal pieces. Cut two cap sleeves from the black felt, referring to the shape in the diagram. Sew the front vest pieces to the back at the shoulder and side seams. Stitch the sleeve caps in place. Topstitch gold ribbon to the edges.
- For the hat, fold black felt in half. Cut out two hat shapes along the fabric fold, aligning the bottom edge of the hat with the fabric fold (as shown on pattern). Leaving the pieces folded, stay-stitch 1/4 inch along the opening edges of each hat piece; sew rickrack across the widest point of each hat shape (see photo). Place hat pieces with wrong sides together; sew the short sides. Overcast the top closed using gold cord and sewing through the outer layers only. Cut out the skull-and-crossbones pattern from white felt; glue in place. Place hat on child's head; tack at bottom edge for a snug fit.
- For the belt, cut two of the enlarged buckle patterns from cardboard. Stack the pieces together and wrap them in foil tape. Cut a 6x38-1/2 inch strip of faux leather. Fold in half with the right sides facing and stitch together. Leave a small opening for turning right side out; turn right side out and topstitch. Wrap an end of the belt around the center bar of the buckle and sew the leather back onto itself.
Suggestion: Pair the costume pieces with a red shirt, black pants, black boots, a pirate-theme bandana, and other pirate accessories.