Airplane Pilot Costume for Kids
Watch your child take off for treats this Halloween in this pilot costume that starts with a brown sweat suit.
Upload your photo here.
What You'll Need
- Brown sweatshirt (without a hood)
- Brown sweatpants
- 1 to 1-1/2 yards woolly material
- Needle and thread, or hot-glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Store-bought or vintage patches (for jacket and bag)
- Brown felt for hat, goggles, and bag
- Small piece of crafts foam (for propeller)
- 22-gauge wire
- Three big beads
- One 1-inch washer
- Swim goggles
- Brown paper bag
- Construction paper
- White dress shirt
- White scarf
- Brown boots or shoes
How to Make It
1. Cut the sweatshirt up the front center (from bottom seam to neckline) for the jacket. Cut woolly material into a collar, lapel, and cuff shapes. Stitch or hot-glue pieces onto sweatshirt. Glue some vintage patches onto the sweatshirt.
2. Create a cap by cutting four triangles from stiff brown felt to form a circle (when the top corners of the triangles are gathered together) large enough to cover your child's head. Sew or glue the triangles together. Cut out cap earflaps from felt, and line them with woolly material by sewing or gluing. Attach earflaps to cap. Cut a propeller from the crafts foam. Poke a length of 22-gauge wire through the top of the felt cap; thread on a washer, followed by two of the big beads and the propeller. Thread the last bead, and twist the end of the wire into a small loop. Thread tail of the wire loop back through the beads, propeller, and washer so it pokes through the top of the cap again. Twist the two ends together inside the cap; trim and cover with felt.
3. Trace the shape of swim goggles onto brown felt. Cut out eye holes, and hot-glue felt goggles onto the swim goggles.
4. For the trick-or-treat bag, embellish a brown paper bag with patches and a strip of felt wrapped around the the middle bag to form a "belt." Finish the belt with a buckle cut from construction paper. Cut handles from brown felt, and glue them to the inside of the top opening of the bag. Cut a luggage tag from the felt, and glue a paper information tag to the felt tag. Cut a small slit in the top of the felt tag and thread a narrow strip of felt through it to form the tag handle. Loop the tag handle around one of the bag handles, and hot-glue the ends together.
5. Finish the pilot's ensemble with a white dress shirt, a white scarf, and brown boots or shoes.