Black-and-White Penguin Costume for Halloween
Chill out this Halloween in a fun penguin costume made from a sweatshirt, felt, and fleece.
What You'll Need
- 3/4 yard of white felt
- Scalloped-edge scissors
- Needle and thread
- Fabric glue (optional)
- Child's black sweatshirt
- Scraps of black, gray, yellow, pink felt
- Green polka-dot ribbon
- Three black buttons
- Black kid fleece winter hat
- White foam-core board
- Crafts knife
- 1-inch thick plastic-foam sheet
- White cord
- Plastic fishing bobber
How to Make It
1. Download our free patterns and enlarge as indicated.
2. Cut out the penguin shirt from white felt using the pattern. Cut six 1/2x16-inch wide strips from white felt, trimming one long edge on each strip with scalloped-edge scissors.
3. Cut one 1-1/2x16-inch strip from white felt. Glue or topstitch the felt shirt piece to the front of the sweatshirt. Lay out the scalloped-edge strips and the 1-1/2x16-inch strip on the front of the shirt as shown in the photograph, and glue or topstitch the pieces in place. Trim the ends of the strips as needed.
4. Using the patterns, cut the collar pieces from white felt, and cut the wing and tail pieces from black felt. Glue or sew the collar to the neckline of the sweatshirt, the wings to the shoulder seams of the sweatshirt sleeves, and the tail pieces to the bottom of the sweatshirt.
5. Create a bow tie from ribbon, and glue it just below the neckline. Sew three buttons to the center of the shirt.
6. For the hat, cut out the eye pieces from white, gray, and black felt as shown on the patterns. Cut out the beak from yellow felt and the cheeks from pink felt. Glue or sew the pieces to the hat as shown in the photograph, layering the eyes first and then the beak on top of the eyes.
7. Using the fish patterns as templates, trace the fish onto white foam-core and cut them out with a crafts knife. Transfer the details with black marker. Color the fish with markers.
8. Cut 1-inch cubes from plastic-foam using a crafts knife. Pierce a small hole through the top and the bottom of the fish and string them together with white cord along with the plastic-foam cubes. String one fish with a plastic fishing bobber onto the cord and tie it to the end of a wooden dowel to make a fishing pole.
Suggestion: Pair with black shoes and black pants for trick-or-treating.