Make a Rock Star Kid's Halloween Costume
Rock your little diva's world with this sizzling ensemble that's born from modest beginnings -- khaki pants and a pink T-shirt.
What You Need
- 1/2 yard pink cheetah fabric
- Feather boas: black and bright pink
- Glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Tan pants
- Scraps of pink and purple sequined fabric
- Black felt
- Fabric glue
- Sunglasses and assorted rhinestone stars
- Crafts glue
- 2-1/2-inch plastic-foam ball and serrated knife
- Silver glitter
- 7-inch length each of 3/4-inch-diameter wooden dowel and 3/4-inch-diameter pipe insulation
- Black duct tape
- Black crafts foam
How to Make It
- Enlarge and trace the vest front and back patterns; cut out two fronts (one reversed) and one back from cheetah fabric.
- With right sides facing and using a 1/2-inch seam allowance, sew the vest fronts to the back at the shoulders and sides. Turn under a 1-inch seam allowance on the fronts and the lower bottom edge; hem in place.
- Hot-glue short lengths of black boa around the neck and arm openings.
- Hot-glue pieces of bright pink boa around the bottom of each pant leg.
- Cut out three large stars and one small star from sequin fabrics. Use fabric glue to adhere the sequin stars to black felt; cut out 1/4 inch around the sequin stars. Glue the stars to the pants, referring to the photograph for placement.
- Glue rhinestones to the sunglasses.
- To make the microphone top, trim 1/4 inch from one side of the plastic-foam ball with a serrated knife. Brush crafts glue over the round portion and sprinkle silver glitter over the wet glue; let dry.
- For the microphone handle, cover the wooden dowel with pipe insulation. Cover the insulation with duct tape. Cut three 3-1/2-inch-diameter circles from black crafts foam. Cut a circle opening at the center of each foam circle large enough to accommodate the finished microphone handle. Thread the crafts-foam circles over one end of the handle and hot-glue the silver ball to the top.