Ice Cream Cone Kid Halloween Costume
What is sweet and cute with a cherry on top and perfect for trick-or-treating? This adorable ice cream cone Halloween costume, of course.
What You'll Need
- 1/2 yard each of felt: pink, cream, brown, tan, red, yellow, green
- Sewing machine and thread (in same felt colors to match)
- Needle and thread
- Fabric glue
- Pink kid's sweatshirt
- Polyester fiberfill
- Hot-glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Multicolor pom-poms
- Kid's wide headband
- Thin cardboard
- White satin ribbon
How to Make It
1. Download the free patterns and enlarge as indicated. Referring to the patterns, cut out the ice cream scoop sections from pink, cream, and brown felt.
2. Use the sleeve-hole pattern to cut a hole in two of the pink felt sections. With right sides facing, sew the same-color sections together to make a funnel-shape tube (wide at the top, tapering to the bottom). Be sure to position the pink sleeve-hole pieces on opposite sides of the tube. Gather the top and bottom edges with a long running stitch and pull the thread ends.
3. Cut a 14x30-inch piece from tan felt. Cut many 1-3/4-inch-wide strips from brown felt to create a crisscross pattern (see photo) on the tan felt square. Glue or topstitch the strips in place. With right sides facing, sew the long sides of the tan felt together; turn right side out. Hand-sew the tan felt square around the edges of the gathers of the bottom ice cream scoop (brown in our photo).
4. Using the patterns, cut out the syrup toppings from brown, red, and yellow felt. Hand-sew all the scoops together, attaching the topping cutouts in between the scoop layers. Insert the pink sweatshirt into the top of the pink scoop, pulling the sweatshirt arms through the sleeve holes. Stuff the scoops with polyester fiberfill through the sleeve holes.
5. Hot-glue pom-poms around the neckline for sprinkles.
6. Cover the headband with pink felt. Cut out a 3-1/2-inch-diameter circle from thin cardboard, cover it with white felt, and hot-glue it slightly off-center on the headband. Using a long running stitch and matching thread, gather the white satin ribbon and glue it around the edges of the cardboard. Add several layers of gathered ribbon to resemble whipped cream.
7. Using the pattern, cut out the cherry pieces from red felt and sew the pieces together to make a ball.
8. Cut four leaves from green felt and topstitch the pieces together in pairs around the outer edges and through the centers.
9. Using the patterns, cut the stem pieces from brown felt. Topstitch the pieces together and slip it over a 6-inch-long piece of wire. Poke the wire end into the center of the cherry for a stem.
10. Hand-sew the leaves to the top of the cherry. Hot-glue the cherry to the center of the cardboard.