Make a Kid's Cupcake Chef Costume for Halloween
Use paint, crafts foam, and a little bit of creativity to whip up this cupcake chef kid's costume for a sweet Halloween.
What You'll Need
- Pink youth apron and chef's hat
- Acrylic paint in white and pink
- Small heart-shape crafts-foam stamp
- Large heart outline crafts-foam stamp
- Puff paints in white and pink
- 1-1/4 yards of white ruffle trim
- Fabric glue
- Silver foil tray
- Large round paper doily
- Glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Five white chenille stems
- Silver foil cupcake liners
- 1/4 yard fuchsia tulle
- White crafts-foam sheet
- Heart and flower crafts-foam stickers
- Five sparkly pom-poms
- Using a pencil, draw a heart onto the apron bib and on each apron pocket the same size as the large heart stamp. Brush white acrylic paint onto the small heart stamp, and stamp several small hearts inside the large drawn hearts (see photo). Once dry, brush pink acrylic paint onto the large heart outline stamp, and stamp it once around the white hearts background. Brush pink acrylic paint onto the small heart stamp and press into the middle of the large heart. Outline each pink heart with puff paint.
- Cut lengths of white ruffle trim to fit the apron bib and pocket edges. Use fabric glue to attach the trim to the apron.
- Brush pink acrylic paint onto the small heart stamp, and press it onto the band of the chef hat. Repeat stamping around the hatband. Outline the stamped hearts with pink puff paint. Use white puff paint to created dotted hearts between the stamped hearts (see photo).
- Hot-glue the paper doily to the silver foil tray. Poke a hole in the center of the tray. Insert a chenille stem, extending 1 inch of the stem through the bottom of the tray. Twist the short chenille stem end into a spiral, and hot-glue it to the bottom of the tray. Repeat the process by poking four more holes around the tray, inserting chenille stems, and hot-gluing the stem ends (these stems will be used to hold the cupcakes in place).
- Poke a hole in the center of five foil cupcake liners, and slide each liner onto a chenille stem. Cut five 10-inch squares from the tulle. Tie a piece of tulle around each chenille stem, tucking it into the cupcake liners.
- Using our patterns, cut five cupcake tops from the white crafts foam. Cut a hole in the center of each and slide it onto a chenille stem. Trim the chenille stems, and fold the ends over on each cupcake top.
- Referring to the patterns, "frost" the cupcake tops with heart- and flower-shape foam stickers and pink and white puff paint. Hot-glue a pom-pom to the top of each cupcake.