Did October 31 arrive too early? Don't panic! You still have time to make a costume. Here are five that are easy to make.
2. Cut out patterns. Prepare pattern pieces from 12x18-inch foam sheets: A) Large, dark pink petals: Cut four petals, 8-1/2x11 inches. B) Light pink petals: Cut four petals, 5-1/2x7 inches, and four petal strips, 2x7 inches. C) Stem top: To create the dark green neck collar, cut a 13-inch circle in green crafts foam, then cut triangular notches to create a starburst shape. Remove a pie-shape section of the starburst pattern, about 1/4 of the circle. (If using our downloadable pattern, fold the foam in half and lay the dotted line on the fold.) D) Green collar leaves: Cut four heart-shape leaves, 6-1/2x8-1/2 inches. Cut five small leaves, 4-1/2x6 inches.
3. Stitch petals. Stitch flat end of large petals 1-1/2 inches apart around the outer base of turned-up hat brim. Stitch small petals between the large petals. With a couple of stitches, tack sides of petals together to keep them upright. Tack top and bottom of inner petal strips to center of large petals.
4. Insert stems. Fold pink chenille stems in half. Poke ends through back of hat and pull to the front. Curl ends. Poke end of a fat, green chenille stem through top of hat. Twist end so it can't pull through.
5. Finish hat. Form stem top into cone and sew together. Place over top of hat, pulling chenille stem through the stem top.
6. Make collar. For the collar, punch two holes at top of each leaf, about 1-1/2 inches apart. Thread ribbon through holes.
2. Cut out patterns. Prepare pattern pieces from 12x18-inch foam sheets: A) Blue petals: Cut six heart-shape petals (with flat bottoms), 6-1/2x7-1/2 inches. B) Peach petals: Cut nine petals, 2-1/2x2-1/2 inches. C) Green leaves: Cut seven heart-shape leaves, 5x6-1/2 inches. (If using our downloadable pattern, fold the material in half and place the pattern's dotted line on the fold.) Cut two small leaves, 3x3 inches.
3. Stitch petals. Place blue petal on the inside of the headband. Starting at one end, stitch petal to edge of headband, through both foam and cloth of the headband. Do another row of stitches halfway down the inside of the headband to keep the petal flat. Overlap the next petal by 1-1/2 inches and repeat until all petals are attached. Stitch peach petals along bottom of headband, overlapping petals by 1/4 inch.
4. Make collar. For the collar, punch two holes at the top of each leaf, about 1-1/2 inches apart. Thread ribbon through holes.
2. Prepare pattern pieces from 12x18-inch foam sheets: A) Purple petals: Cut 11 petals, 4-1/2x9 inches. B) Green leaves: Cut three large jagged leaves, 6x11 inches, and five small jagged leaves, 4-1/2x8 inches.
3. Stitch petals. Stitch flat end of petals to cloth base of cap, spacing each petal 1/2 inch apart.
4. Finish cap. To shape petals, bend and tack three front petals to sides and end of baseball cap visor. Tack petals around back to fill in bare spots. Glue pom-poms onto cap.
5. Prepare collar. For the collar, punch two holes at top of each leaf, about 1-1/2 inches apart. Thread ribbon through holes.
For hat: 1. Stitch washcloth. Cut off a corner of yellow washcloth (enough to hang about 3-1/2 inches below hat brim). Stitch remaining washcloth to top of hat. Sew cut-off washcloth corner to center front of the hat.
2. Make antennae. Stitch chenille stems to inside brim. Poke black-painted plastic-foam balls onto ends.
For shirt: 3. Make stripes. Wrap black duct tape around sweatshirt to create stripes.
4. Make wings. Cut a pair of 8x17-inch crafts-foam wings. Pinch center of wings together. Sew to sweatshirt back.
For sweat suit: 1. Prepare gloves. Stuff three pairs of work gloves with fiberfill, starting with fingertips.
2. Prepare sweatshirt. Sew rectangle to front of sweatshirt, leaving top open. Stuff. Sew top shut.
3. Decorate sweatshirt. Sew or glue on sequined trim and felt scraps.
4. Add gloves. Sew on stuffed gloves: one pair to sweat shirt and two pairs to pants.
For visor: 5. Decorate visor. Glue felt scraps and sequined trim to visor.
6. Add antennae. Twist to attach chenille stems to sides of visor. Poke plastic foam balls on ends.