Make a Kid's Circus Acrobat Costume for Halloween
Fashion this flashy circus girl costume from a pair of satin pajama pants, a leotard with filmy sleeves, and sparkly embellishments.
- 3/4-yard of hot pink sheer fabric
- 1/2-yard of 1/4-inch wide black elastic
- 1/2-yard of 3/4-inch wide black elastic sequin trim
- Sleeveless hot pink dance leotard
- 1/2-yard of 1-inch wide hot pink elastic sequin trim
- White polka-dotted black satin pajama pants
- 12-inch long 5/8-inch-diameter wooden dowel
- Acrylic paints: hot pink, gloss black, and pink glitter
- Two 1 1/4-inch-diameter wooden dowel caps with 5/8-inch-diameter holes
- Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
- 1-1/3 yards each of 1/8-inch, 3/8-inch, and 5/8-inch-wide assorted pink ribbons
- 1 yard of 3/8 -inch-wide black elastic rhinestone trim
- 4 1/3yards of 5/8-inch-wide hot pink sheer ribbon
- Pink feather plume
- Approximately 1 yard of 1 3/4-inch-wide black elastic sequin trim
- Approximately 1 yard of 1-inch-wide hot pink elastic sequin trim
- Black ballet slippers
- For the leotard sleeves, measure the length of the child's arm from shoulder to wrist; add 2 to 3 inches so the sleeve will be poufed and 1 3/4 inches for a casing and hem. From the sheer fabric, cut two rectangles measuring 18 inches wide times your length measurement.
- Fold one sleeve rectangle in half lengthwise with wrong sides together; sew the seam using a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Turn the sleeve inside out and resew the seam, encasing the raw edges of the first seam allowance. Turn right side out.
- At the cuff edge, turn under 1/4 inch, then 1/2 inch and sew close to the inner fold to make a casing. Thread 1/4-inch-wide black elastic through the casing; stitch the elastic ends together so the cuff comfortably fits the child's wrist.
- At the shoulder edge, turn under 1/2 inch twice; hem. Sew two rows of gathering stitches around the shoulder opening. Pull gathers to fit the armhole of the leotard and hand-tack in place.