Pretty Butterfly Kid's Costume for Halloween
Make this cute butterfly Halloween costume for your little trick-or-treater and watch her flutter down the streets collecting candy.
- 1-1/4 yards of fabric
- Fray Check (available at crafts stores) or clear nail polish
- 2-2/3 yards of 1/4-inch-wide pink ribbon
- Two large pink pom-poms
- Glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- 2/3 yard of elastic cord
- Six small pink pom-poms
- Two white chenille stems
- Satin-covered headband
- 1 yard of 1/2-inch-diameter pink feather boa
- Download the free wing pattern. For the wings, use a shirt that fits your child. Cut out the wings referring to the pattern. Apply Fray Check to the edges.
- For neck tie, cut a 32-inch length of ribbon. Stitch the center of the ribbon length (around the 16-inch mark) to the center top of the wings; glue a large pom-pom to each ribbon end.
- For the wristbands, cut two 10-inch lengths of elastic cord. Knot the ends together for two wristbands. Stitch each wristband to the top corner of each wing.
- Cut two 9-inch lengths of ribbon. Fold the ribbons in half, and glue the fold over the each elastic knots. Glue a small pom-pom to each ribbon end.
- For the waistband, center the elastic on the wings and hand-sew around the outside edge, stretching the elastic as you sew. Cut two 22-inch lengths of ribbon and stitch to each end of the elastic. Adhere a small pom-pom to each ribbon end.
- For the antennae, wrap one chenille stem in half around the headband. Twist the stem ends together, twisting in a 2-inch piece of boa between the ends at the top. Repeat for the second antenna. Fold the remaining boa in half, and glue it over the top of the headband.