What You Need:
- Cardboard box appropriate for the size of the child
- Duct tape
- Utility knife
- Tracing paper
- Extra flat pieces of cardboard
- Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks
- Empty plastic margarine tub
- Spray paint in desired color
- 4x4x1-inch piece of wood
- Drill and drill bit
- Bolt slightly longer than margarine tub depth and a nut
- Colored electrical tape
- Two 30-inch-long pieces of 1-1/2-inch fabric strapping
1. Download the High Flying Airplane patterns. (This requires free Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Prepare the box. Fold flaps from the box bottom to the inside and tape in place. Fold the two side flaps from the top to the inside and tape in place. Using a utility knife, trim semicircles from the two remaining flaps to allow a child to stand in the box.
3. Cut out patterns. Trace the plane patterns. Cut the shapes from cardboard.
4. Prepare cutouts. Use hot-glue gun to attach the tail top to the center of the tail. Glue the two tail supports perpendicular to the underneath side of the tail, each about 2 inches from the center. Glue two supports to the underside of each wing, aligning with the outside edge as shown in the photo above. With straight sides aligned, glue the propellers to the propeller center. Glue the propeller unit to the bottom of the margarine tub. Let all glue set.
5. Paint box. In a well-ventilated area, cover your work surface with newspapers. Spray-paint all sides of the box and cardboard pieces. Let the paint dry.
6. Attach cutouts to box. Assemble the airplane according to the photograph using hot glue. To add the propeller, back it with the wood square inside the box. Drill a hole through the box and wood piece. Drill a hole in the center of the propeller. Secure in place with a nut and bolt.
7. Decorate airplane. Add stripes to the airplane as desired using electrical tape.
8. Add shoulder straps. Cut two 1-1/2-inch-long slits in each untaped box flap for shoulder straps. Insert the ends of the strapping through the slits. Adjust to fit child and knot the ends of the strapping.