Witchy Welcome Sign
Hanging from a witch's broom, these words of warning are perfect for the entrance of any haunted house.
What You Need:Welcome guests with a message that will cause goose bumps.
- Broom with wood handle
- Medium-grit sandpaper
- Tack cloth
- Spray paints in silver and purple
- Acrylic enamel paints in black and orange
- 1- and 1/2-inch flat brushes
- Tracing paper
- 2 x 4-foot piece of plywood
- Band saw
- Acrylic paints in white, black, bright green, purple, and bright orange
- Crackle medium
- Transfer paper
- Drill and 1/16-inch bit
- 6 small eye screws
- 6 feet of chain
2. Sand broom handle and wipe with tack cloth. In a well-ventilated work area, cover work surface with newspapers. Spray-paint the broom bristles silver. Shade as desired with purple. Let dry.
3. Use a pencil and ruler to mark broom handle in 2-inch increments. Paint alternating black and orange stripes around broom handle using the marks as guides. Let dry.
4. Enlarge and trace the sign pattern and lettering, below. Cut out the sign shape. Draw around the sign shape on plywood. Cut out. Sand and wipe edges.
5. Paint the sign using white acrylic. Let dry. Apply a thick coat of crackle medium to the front of the sign. Let dry. Paint over the crackle medium with black acrylic, trying not to overlap brushstrokes. Let dry.
6. Paint the edges of the sign silver. Let dry.
7. Use transfer paper to transfer the lettering to the wood sign. Using the pattern as a guide, paint the letters with acrylic paints. Add green and orange shading to the edges of the sign. Let dry.
8. Drill two 1/16-inch holes in the top and bottom of the broom handle and in the top of the sign as shown in the photo. Screw an eye screw into each hole. Attach chain pieces to each of the eye screws.