Make Witches' Brooms to Use as Halloween Decorations
Outfit your porch with a few broomsticks, essential transportation for witches as they make their rounds on Halloween.
What You'll Need:
For three broomsticks:
- Wooden dowel (1-inch diameter, 36 inches long)
- Tree branch (approximately 36 inches long)
- Bamboo branch (approximately 36 inches long)
- Lavender acrylic paints
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Willow twigs, bamboo, and decorative grass (for broom brushes)
- Three pieces of black, interfacing fabric: 2x10-inch strips.
- Raffia and twine
- Hot-glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
How to Make It:
- Paint the wooden dowel with lavender acrylic paint; let dry. Sand with fine-grit sandpaper for a worn look.
- Choose one of the broom brush materials (willow twigs, bamboo, decorative grasses) to go with each broom handle. For each broom, lay the brush material across one length of interfacing fabric so about 2 inches of brush material extends beyond the fabric. Hot-glue into place; let dry.
- Wrap the interfacing end of the brush around the bottom of the broom handle (with the interfacing facing in), gluing into place as you wrap. Let dry.
- Referring to the photo, wrap raffia or twine several times around the top of each broom brush and glue into place.