Create a Vintage-look Candy Dish for Halloween
Make this quick and easy candy dish perfect for trick-or-treaters on Halloween.
What You Need:
- 6x5-inch diameter crafts box
- 12x12-inch sheets of two coordinating patterned papers
- Spray adhesive
- Black poster board
- Circle cutter (optional)
- Pinking shears
- Crafts glue
- Tinsel: black or orange
- 3/4x6-inch crafts stick
- Black acrylic paint
- Glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Purchased star or Halloween glitter cutout
- Computer, printer, and white paper (optional)
How to Make It:
- Measure the height and distance around the box; add 1/2 inch to the height. Use these measurements to cut a piece of patterned paper, piecing the paper, if needed, to reach completely around the box. Lightly spray the back of the paper with adhesive and mount it on the outside of the box, with the bottom edges even. Fold the excess paper to the inside of the box, covering the top edge; press to adhere.
- Spray the back of the same paper with adhesive and mount to black poster board. Measure the distance across the bottom of the box. Cut a circle from the layered paper/poster board 3 inches larger than the measurement. Trim the edges with pinking shears. Center and glue the bottom of the box onto the circle. Apply a line of crafts glue along the bottom edge of the box. Press tinsel into the glue; let dry.
- Paint the crafts stick black; let dry.
- Spray the back of a coordinating sheet of patterned paper and mount it on poster board. Cut a circle from the layered paper/poster board to the same diameter as the box. Hot-glue the crafts stick to the paper side of the circle so 3 inches extend beyond the edge of the circle.
- Divide the diameter of the box by 2 and subtract 1/4 inch for the fan. Use this measurement to cut a 12-inch strip of coordinating paper. For example, the strip for a 6-inch-diameter box would be 2-3/4 inches. Beginning at a short edge of the strip, make accordion-style pleats across the paper; finger-crease each pleat. Pinch one pleated edge together for the center of the fan.
- Glue the short edges of the pleated paper together, forming a circle. Center and glue the center of the fan on the layered circle, covering the top of the crafts stick. Glue the glitter cutout centered on the fan. If desired, use a computer to print a Halloween message on white paper for a banner. Cut out the banner and glue it to the glitter cutout.
- Hot-glue the crafts stick to the inside of the box at the center back so there is 1 inch between the top of the box and the fan.
- Cut enough 2-1¿2-inch-wide strips of the box paper to reach around the inside of the box if desired. Spray the back of the strips with adhesive and press in place inside the box with the top edge of the paper slightly below the top edge of the box.