Make a Tree of Thanks for Fall
Invite family and friends to write meaningful messages on this pretty tree perfect for fall and Thanksgiving decorating.
What You Need:
- Tree branch
- Handheld hedge clippers
- Butter tub
- Disposable container
- Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
- Chickpeas or dried beans
- Spray primer
- Orange spray paint
- Clear spray sealer
- Orange glitter
- Decorative container
- Decorative rocks and silk leaves
- Papers in green and gold
- Paper trimmer
- Marking pen
- Shower curtain clips
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Trim a dry dead branch to the desired size and shape using hedge clippers. If needed, combine several small branches.
- Choose a container, such as a butter tub, that can be hidden in a decorative container and filled with cement.
- Following the instructions on the cement package, mix cement in a separate disposable container. Pour the cement into the butter tub.
- Insert the branch base into the center of the cement-filled tub. Tap the sides of the tub until the branch sits firmly in cement. Allow cement to dry.
- Use a hot-glue gun to adhere chickpeas or dried beans randomly to the branch, using as many as desired.
- In an outdoor area, spray the branch with primer. Spread extra chickpeas on newspaper and spray them with primer. Let the primer dry.
- Spray-paint the branch and chickpeas with orange; let dry.
- Spray one section at a time with clear sealer. Quickly sprinkle orange glitter onto wet sealer; let dry. Repeat this process until entire branch and chickpeas are glittered. Place the weighted tree into decorative container.
- Place decorative rocks around the branch base until the cement is covered. Sprinkle extra chickpeas onto the rocks.
- Trim silk leaves from stems. Coil the wired ends and hang on the tree.
- Trim 2-inch squares of green paper and 13¿4-inch squares of gold paper. Center and glue the gold paper onto the green paper. Ask family members to use a marking pen to write meaningful messages on the squares. Use shower curtain clips to hang the messages from the branches.
- Leave extra colored squares around the tree base for guests to add more messages to the tree.