Craft a Thoughtful Pillow for Halloween and Thanksgiving
Make this felted-wool pillow as a fun fall accent, a perfect way to transition from Halloween to Thanksgiving.
What You Need:
- Felted wool (see the instructions for felting wool below): 11-inch square of orange, 11-1/2x14-inch rectangle of green, 4x6-inch piece of black, and 1-inch square of gold
- 1/2 yard of ecru fabric
- Polyester fiberfill
- Freezer paper
- #8 pearl cotton: black and green
- Crewel needle
- Linen thread
How to Make It:
- Felt the Wool: Place wool fabric in a washing machine (a top-loading machine is recommended). Fill the machine with hot water. Agitate the fabric on the longest cycle and rinse it in cold water. Place wool in the dryer for 30 minutes on regular heat.
- Make the Pillow: Trace the pillow pattern onto tracing paper and cut out the shape. On a double layer of the ecru fabric, trace and cut out the pumpkin-pillow shape. Cut a vertical slit in the center of the pillow front for turning. With right sides facing and using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew the front to the back. Turn right side out and stuff with fiberfill. Whipstitch the opening closed. Set aside.
- Cut the Felted Wool: Position the freezer paper, shiny side down, over the patterns. Trace the patterns the number of times indicated. Cut out the shapes on the traced lines. Using an iron, press a freezer-paper shape, shiny side down, onto the front of the respective fabric; let cool. Cut out the shape along the pattern edges. Peel off the freezer paper. Cut a 2-1/2x14-inch strip and a 9-inch square from the green wool. Set the strip aside. Cut enough 1/4-inch-wide strips from the wool square for lettering.
- Applique the Design: Pin the lettering to the pumpkin. Whipstitch around each letter with green pearl cotton. Pin the crows in place. Whipstitch around each crow with black pearl cotton. Pin the star to the left crow and whipstitch in place with black pearl cotton. Couch-stitch a length of linen thread from the beak of one crow to the beak of the other, making loops as desired; leave a short length of thread loose at each end. Pin the pumpkin stem to the pillow. Whipstitch in place with black pearl cotton. Pin the appliqued pumpkin to the pillow. Whipstitch around it with black pearl cotton.
- Finish the Pillow: Cut a zigzag border along one long side of the 2-1/2x14-inch rectangle of green wool. Make a running stitch along the straight edge and gather to fit around the pumpkin stem. Tie off and tack in a few places with hidden stitches.
- Note: For a guide to embroidery stitches, see link below.