Craft a Simple Candy-Corn Door Decoration for Halloween
Make this easy Halloween door decoration out of plastic foam and felt (to simulate candy corn), then fill it with dried naturals and artificial crows.
What You Need:
- 10 x 15-inch piece of 1-inch-thick plastic foam
- Serrated knife
- 27 x 27-inch square of batting
- Straight pins
- Sewing threads to match felt colors
- Sewing needle
- Crafts felt: 27 x 27-inch square of orange, 7 x 10-inch piece of white, and 5 x 27-inch piece of yellow
- Twig (We used Manzanita.)
- Black spray paint
- Florist's wire
- 3 small artificial crows
- Dried naturals such as stems of millet, grasses, and dried Japanese lanterns
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Place the plastic foam flat on a cutting surface with the 10-inch ends at the top and bottom.
- Cut out a triangle shape from the foam, leaving a 1-inch-wide "point" at the bottom. The triangle should measure 10 inches across the top, 1 inch across the bottom, and approximately 16 inches along each side.
- Wrap the triangle with batting, neatly pinning it to the back.
- Shape and trim away the excess batting until it smoothly fits the back of the triangle. Baste the batting edges together, removing the pins as you sew.
- Cover the triangle with orange crafts felt in the same way. Using the 7x10-inch piece of white felt, add a 4-inch-tall band to the bottom of the triangle, wrapping the felt around the bottom edge.
- Pin, trim, and sew the band in place. With the 5x27-inch piece of yellow felt, add a 5-inch-tall band to the top. Do not wrap the felt over the top edge.
- Pin, trim, and sew the band in place. Spray the twig black; let dry. Secure the twig in the