What You Need:
- 10 x 15-inch piece of 1-inch-thick plastic foam
- Serrated knife
- 27 x 27-inch square of batting
- Straight pins
- Sewing threads to match felt colors
- Sewing needle
- Crafts felt: 27 x 27-inch square of orange, 7 x 10-inch piece of white, and 5 x 27-inch piece of yellow
- Twig (We used Manzanita.)
- Black spray paint
- Florist's wire
- 3 small artificial crows
- Dried naturals such as stems of millet, grasses, and dried Japanese lanterns
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Place the plastic foam flat on a cutting surface with the 10-inch ends at the top and bottom.
- Cut out a triangle shape from the foam, leaving a 1-inch-wide "point" at the bottom. The triangle should measure 10 inches across the top, 1 inch across the bottom, and approximately 16 inches along each side.
- Wrap the triangle with batting, neatly pinning it to the back.
- Shape and trim away the excess batting until it smoothly fits the back of the triangle. Baste the batting edges together, removing the pins as you sew.
- Cover the triangle with orange crafts felt in the same way. Using the 7x10-inch piece of white felt, add a 4-inch-tall band to the bottom of the triangle, wrapping the felt around the bottom edge.
- Pin, trim, and sew the band in place. With the 5x27-inch piece of yellow felt, add a 5-inch-tall band to the top. Do not wrap the felt over the top edge.
- Pin, trim, and sew the band in place. Spray the twig black; let dry. Secure the twig in the