What You Need for Pillow Toppers
- 1/2 yard blue print (applique foundations)
- 1/3 yard solid black (appliques)
- Scraps of yellow and off-white felted wool (appliques)
- Scraps of pink print, orange plaid, gold plaid, yellow check, dark brown print, rust print, brown plaid, mottled gold, and yellow print (appliques)
- 1/4 yard mottled brown (turkey applique)
- 3/8 yard blue plaid (binding, ties)
- 2 15-inch squares backing fabric
- 2 15-inch squares batting
- 2 1/8-inch diameter black beads
- Lightweight fusible web
- Purchased 18-inch-square pillow
Download Applique Patterns
12 1/2 inches square
Unless otherwise specified, quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. All measurements include a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut pieces in the following order. To use fusible web for appliqueing, complete the following steps.
Applique Cat Block
- Referring to Cat Applique Placement Diagram, lay out pieces A-D, orange plaid letters, and pieces F-I on a blue print 12-1/2-inch square; fuse in place.
- Using threads that match the applique pieces and working from the bottom layer to the top, machine-blanket-stitch around each piece.
- Arrange two off-white wool 1/4-x-3-inch strips in an X on the cat's face to make whiskers. Center pink print E nose on top of the strips; fuse in place. With pink thread, machine-blanket-stitch around the nose, leaving whisker ends loose, to complete the cat block.
Download Cat Applique Diagram
Give Yourself a Hand
Little hands can be big helpers as you approach the holiday season. If you have more than one set of little hands helping around your house, consider modifying the single handprint turkey design to include several turkeys made with one of everyone's handprint in your family. (Perhaps you'll have to tie it on a bigger pillow!) To turn your seasonal decor into a lasting keepsake, add a label to the back that lists the names and ages of each contributor and the year you made the pillow.