From the Pumpkin Patch Pillow
Welcome autumn into your home with a felted wool pillow that lets the iconic image of this favorite season linger a bit longer.
Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
- Wool felt: 1 3/8 yards brown, 1 yard golden yellow, and 1/4 yard bronze (We used National NonWovens' wool felt: Teddy Bear Brown, Honey Mustard, and Aged Bronze.)
- Temporary spray adhesive
- Sewing threads to match fabrics
- Freezer paper
- Paper-backed fusible web
- Hand-dyed wool: 8-x-18-inch piece of burnt orange herringbone and 10-x-18-inch piece of orange
- Polyester fiberfill
continue reading below
- From the brown felt, cut a 20-x-38-inch rectangle for the pillow front and two 20-x-21-1/2-inch rectangles for the pillow back. From the golden yellow felt, cut a 16-x-34-inch rectangle for the background.
- Apply a light coat of temporary spray adhesive to the wrong side of the background fabric. Center the background, adhesive side down, on the right side of the pillow front; smooth out wrinkles. Using a sewing machine, sew through both layers 1/8 inch from the edges of the background.
- Trace patterns from the link above as many times as indicated onto the dull side of the freezer paper, leaving about 1 inch between the shapes. Write the appropriate fabric color inside each traced shape. Cut the shapes apart, leaving some excess paper around each shape.
- Cut a piece of paper-backed fusible web slightly larger than each shape. Fuse the web pieces onto the wrong side of the corresponding pieces of wool felt or wool, following the manufacturer's instructions. Do not remove the paper backing from the web at this time. Iron the freezer paper shapes, shiny side down, onto the right side of the corresponding pieces of wool, using a dry iron.
- Cut through all layers on the traced lines. Separate the freezer paper from the fabric shapes.
- Remove the paper backing from the wavy stripes. Position the stripes on the background; fuse in place following the manufacturer's instructions. Sew a scant 1/8 inch from all edges of each stripe.
- Remove the paper backing from the pumpkin stripes, swirls, and stars and position on the pumpkins. Fuse the stripes, swirls, and stars in place and buttonhole-stitch around each fused shape.
- Remove the paper backing from the stems and pumpkins and position on the background, tucking the stems under the pumpkins. Set the pumpkins aside and fuse the stems in place. Sew 1/8 inch from the edges of the stems. Reposition the pumpkins on the background and fuse in place. Buttonhole-stitch around each pumpkin.
- With wrong sides facing, pin the pillow backs to the pillow front, aligning the outer edges and overlapping the backs by about 5 inches at the center of the pillow. Sew the backs to the front 1/4 inch from the outer edges. Stuff the pillow with polyester fiberfill through the center back opening.