What You Need:
- Tracing paper
- 15 x 11 x 3-inch wood serving tray
- Safety glasses
- Crafting mosaic tiles: 2 bags of orange, 2 bags of green, and 3 bags of white
- Tile-cutting nipper
- Crafts stick
- Mosaics adhesive
- Mosaics white sanded tile grout
- Rag or sponge
- Green acrylic paint
- Satin varnish
1. Download the free patterns. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Trace/cut pattern. Enlarge and trace the pumpkin pattern onto tracing paper. Cut out the pattern. Place the pattern in the center of the tray and trace around the shape.
3. Break tiles. Put on safety glasses before breaking tiles. Cut tiles into various shapes with a cutting nipper and hammer. To break tiles with a hammer, put them on a towel with the colored surface down. Cover with a towel and strike with a hammer.
4. Glue tile chips. Use a crafts stick to spread adhesive on small sections of the wood at a time. Glue orange tile chips inside the pumpkin outline. Glue green tile chips for the stem and to form a border around the edge of the tray bottom. Fill in the remaining spaces with white tile chips.
5. Spread grout. Mix the grout according to the manufacturer's instructions. Spread grout on the top of the tiles with a spatula and your fingers, pressing the grout in spaces between tiles. Wipe grout off the top of tiles with a damp sponge or rag. Let it set up.
6. Paint tray. Paint the tray green. Let it dry. Apply a coat of varnish over the paint. Let it dry.