Create a Giant Rooftop Cat for Halloween
Created in pieces, this gigantic black cat can be resized to fit on top of almost any rooftop.
What You'll Need
- Graph paper
- Black plastic corrugated board: 44-x-44-inch and 42-x-48-inch pieces
- Transfer paper
- White glow-in-the-dark acrylic paint
- 3/4-inch wood stock pieces: two 4-1/4-x-19-inch; two 7-x-14-inch; one 6-x-25-inch; one 6-x-11-inch; one 2-1/2-x-28-inch
- Two 1-x-2-x-11-inch boards
- Deck screws: 3/4-inch, 1-1/4-inch, and 2-inch
- 21-x-72-inch piece of multicolored polka-dot fabric
- Sewing thread
- 3-yard length of medium-gauge wire
- Black electrical or duct tape
- Felt: black and white
- 3 pounds of dry beans or rice
- Polyester fiberfill
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Enlarge the Cat Head and Cat Body patterns onto graph paper; cut out the patterns. Trace each pattern onto black plastic corrugated board; cut out.
- Transfer the facial features onto the head. Use white glow-in-the-dark paint to paint the facial features, applying as many coats as needed for complete coverage. Let the paint dry.
- Refer to the diagram to assemble the cat. Construct the back brace first, using the 4-1/4-x-19-inch, 6-x-25-inch, 6-x-11-inch, and 7-x-14-inch wood pieces and the screws indicated. Then screw the body onto the brace with 3/4-inch screws.
- Use 2-inch screws to attach one end of each 1-x-2-x-11-inch extension piece onto the front of the body and the 2-1/2-x-28-inch piece with 3/4-inch screws, slightly cocking the head.
- With right rides facing, fold the 21-x-72-inch piece of fabric in half for the bow. Use a 1/2-inch seam allowance to sew the cut edges together, leaving an opening at the center of the long edge for turning.
- Turn the fabric right side out. Insert the wire into the opening, bending it to shape, and form the ends of the bow. Tie a knot for the center of the bow, creating a 3-inch loop behind the knot to use for attaching it.
- From the remaining corrugated board, cut an 8-x-12-inch rectangle. Use electrical or duct tape to secure the attachment loop centered on a short edge of the rectangle. Tape the rectangle to the back of the cat's head; reshape the bow.
- Cut 18-inch-long pieces of black and white felt in various widths, ranging from 2 1/2 to 8 inches wide. Use 1/2-inch seam allowances to sew together the 18-inch edges of the felt pieces, creating a 2-1/2-yard-long pieced strip. With the right sides facing, fold the pieced strip in half and sew 1/2 inch from the long edges and one short edge.
- Turn the tail right side out. Stuff the end of the tail with the beans or rice and then fill the rest of the tail with fiberfill. Sew the open end closed.
- To attach the tail, cut a 3-x-18-inch strip of felt. Fold the strip in half and sew the narrow ends to opposite sides at the top end of the tail. On the rooftop, secure the strip around a sandbag to hold the tail in place.
- Position the cat on the rooftop and place sandbags over the 7-x-14-inch wood pieces.