Decorate Hurricane Lanterns for Halloween
Decorate hurricane lanterns to add an old-fashioned candle-lit glow to a Halloween party.
What You Need:
- 4x6-inch or 4x8-inch glass-hurricane lantern with glass bottom
- 12x12-inch sheets of two coordinating patterned papers
- Lightweight black paper
- Spray adhesive
- Crafts knife
- Computer, printer, and white paper
- Sheet of orange vellum
- Crafts glue
- Pinking shears
- Black poster board
- Circle cutter (optional)
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Measure the height and diameter of the lantern; subtract 1/8 inch from the height.
- Use these measurements to cut a piece of patterned paper and black paper.
- Spray the back of the patterned paper with adhesive; press onto the black paper. Use a crafts knife to cut a diamond-shape opening in the papers.
- Type the word you want on a computer, sizing it to fit inside the diamond opening; print onto vellum.
- With the word centered, cut the vellum slightly larger than the opening; glue to the black side of the layered papers.
- Cut 1/2-inch-wide strips of black paper to frame the opening. Trim one edge with pinking shears.
- Glue the strips along the front edges of the opening with the pinked edges toward the printed word.
- Spray the black side of the layered papers with adhesive; mount to the outside of the lantern with the bottom edges even. The paper should be slightly shorter than the lantern to avoid being a fire hazard.
- Spray the back of a coordinating patterned paper with adhesive; mount on black poster board for the brim.
- Measure the distance across the lantern bottom. Cut a circle from the layered brim papers 3 inches larger than the measurement. Pink the top edge.
- Glue the bottom of the lantern centered on the brim. Cut a 1-inch-wide strip of coordinating paper to fit around the lantern base. Pink the top edge.
- Spray the back side with adhesive. Adhere to the lantern bottom with the bottom edge touching the brim. Insert a candle.