Halloween Table Runner
Stitch pumpkin and scaredy-cat designs onto a piece of felt fabric for this colorful Halloween table runner.
What You Need:This holiday table runner is great for showcasing treats and feasts.
- Tracing paper
- Wool/rayon felt: 18 x 28-inch beige background rectangle, 28 x 36-inch yellow rectangle for borders, 4 inch green square for leaves, and 8-inch rust square for corners
- Felted wool: Four 4 x 6-inch assorted black plaid rectangles for cats; one 7 x 14-inch orange rectangle for pumpkins
- No. 3 perle cotton: antique yellow and rust
- No. 5 perle cotton: pumpkin, black, green, and yellow
- Crewel embroidery needles
- Four assorted 7/8-inch to 1-1/8-inch diameter buttons
- Water-erasable fabric marking pen
- Rotary cutter, cutting mat, and acrylic ruler
2. Trace the cat, small and large pumpkin, and leaf patterns onto tracing paper; cut out the patterns. From black plaid felted wool, cut four cats. From orange felted wool, cut two 1-1/2-inch-diameter circles and six pumpkins. From green felt, cut eight leaves. From rust felt, cut four 3-1/2-inch squares.
3. Use the rotary cutter, cutting mat, and acrylic ruler to cut two 18 x 28-inch rectangles from yellow felt. Trim one rectangle to 17-1/2 x 27-1/2 for the back. Trim the second rectangle to 15 x 25-inch to use for the border.
4. Use the water-erasable fabric marking pen to center and draw an 8 x 18-inch rectangle on the second rectangle, creating a 3-1/2-inch-wide border all around. Carefully cut out the center.
5. Smooth the beige background on a flat surface. Center the yellow border piece on the background and pin it in place. Work buttonhole stitches over the inner raw edges of the border, using antique yellow perle cotton to sew it to the background.
6. Pin rust squares to the border corners. Using rust perle cotton, buttonhole-stitch the inner edges only to the border.
7. Position the remaining shapes on table runner, referring to the photo for placement. Using matching No. 5 perle cotton, buttonhole-stitch the shapes in place. Use the water-erasable marking pen to draw details on the cats, pumpkins, and corner squares. Use green perle cotton and running stitches for vines, pumpkin section lines, and large Xs on the corner squares. Use green perle cotton to make French knots for the cat eyes. Use yellow perle cotton and running stitches for whiskers and jack-o'lantern facial features.
8. Trim the beige background even with the edges of the border. Press under 1-inch along all four edges of the back to miter the corners; hand-sew the miters in place. Right sides out, center and pin the table runner top to the back with a 1/4-inch border all around. Sew the table runner top to the back with No. 3 perle cotton and buttonhole stitches. Sew a button to the center of each corner square using rust perle cotton.