Felted Wool Cat Pencil Toppers for Halloween
A few quick stitches are all it takes to sew these cute cat pencil toppers for Halloween.
What You'll Need
- Scraps of felted wool (Choose different colors for the face, eyes, and nose.)
- Freezer paper
- Pencil for tracing
- Perle cotton or wool thread (in black and orange)
- Unsharpened pencil
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Download our free cat template.
- To felt wool, machine-wash it in a hot-water wash, cool-rinse cycle with a small amount of detergent; machine-dry and steam press.
- Lay the freezer paper, shiny side down, over the pattern. With a pencil, trace two head shapes, two eyes, and a nose. Cut out the freezer-paper shapes.
- Using a hot, dry iron, press the freezer-paper shapes onto your fabrics (use different colors for cat face, eyes, and mouth); let cool. Cut out the fabric shapes. Peel off the freezer paper.
- Position the eyes and nose on the cat face. Use the black perle cotton to blanket-stitch each eye in place. Use the black perle cotton to make a French knot in the center of each eye for the pupil.
- Use the orange perle cotton to blanket-stitch the nose in place.
- Straight-stitch the whiskers and ear marking (as shown in the photo).
- Place the appliqued cat face on top of a plain head shape with the wrong sides facing togehter; baste, leaving an opening at the bottom.
- Using the orange perle cotton, blanket-stitch around the cat face. Stuff with fiberfill, then place the cat head on the eraser end of an unsharpened pencil. Tie a ribbon around the pencil underneath the cat head.