- Small party hat
- Staple remover
- Crafting foam in lime green, light pink, dark pink, white, black, purple, and yellow
- Tracing paper
- Pinking shears
- Paper punch
- Glue for foam and plastic
- 6 black pipe cleaners
- Star paper punch
- 12-inch-long piece of 1-1/2-inch-wide black grosgrain ribbon
- Round papier-mâché box
1. Download the free pattern for this project (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software).
2. Remove staples from party hat. Lay hat flat on lime green foam. Trace the shape. Using the hat again as a pattern, trace around the top 2 inches of the hat point on black foam. Connect the sides with a U-shape scallop.
3. Cut out the green and black pieces. Align the black foam over the tip of the green hat shape and staple where ends join. Staple the party hat back together. Place the green foam over the hat shape and staple at the seam to secure.
4. Enlarge and/or trace the patterns. Cut out the shapes. Trace around the pattern pieces on the appropriate color of crafting foam. Cut out the shapes using scissors or pinking shears as desired.
5. Glue the face pieces in place. Punch a hole from foam for the wart on the nose. Glue in place. Let the glue dry.
6. Cut the pipe cleaners in half. Wrap around a medium-size marking pen and remove. Use an awl to poke holes in the top of the green cone, three on each side. Glue one end of each pipe cleaner inside a hole. Let dry.
7. Pull the foam brim over the hat point. Glue on the hatband, buckle, and star. Punch approximately 30 stars from yellow foam. Glue on hat brim and in hair. Let dry.
8. Glue ribbon around papier-mâché box bottom. Let dry.