Glossy leaves, stellar blue flowers, quick coverage -- periwinkle is an ideal coverage for shade. Its only flaw is that it's so popular it's become underappreciated.
Prepare the soil well prior to planting and add humus to retain moisture. Keep the plants cut back to encourage bushy growth, and to keep them within bounds. Periwinkle can become invasive.
- Sun,Part Sun,Shade
- Plant Type:
- Plant Height:
- 4-18 inches tall, depending on variety
- Plant Width:
- Indefinitely wide
- Flower Color:
- White, purple, blue, lavender flowers, depending on variety; variegated leaves, depending on variety
- Bloom Time:
- Blooms mid-spring to fall
- Landscape Uses:
- Containers,Beds & Borders,Slopes,Groundcover
- Special Features:
- Flowers,Attractive Foliage,Fall Color,Winter Interest,Attracts Birds,Tolerates Wet Soil,Deer Resistant,Easy to Grow
Hosta-Filled Shade Garden
Corner of Shrubs
Easy Sidewalk Garden Plan
Flowery Deck Garden Plan
The silver-spotted hairy leaves of lungwort make an interesting contrast with dark evergreen periwinkle in shaded places.Lilyturf
Variegated lilyturf has upright clumps of strappy green leaves edged with cream which show off well among the dark foliage of creeping myrtle in light shade.Japanese forestgrass
Clumps of striped green-and-cream Japanese forestgrass leaves show up well among periwinkle. They enjoy similar conditions.
not what you're looking for? try a new search