Take a cue from big cities: When things get too crowded at ground level, build up.
- Use covered benches or trellises to put interesting architecture or vines overhead.
- Choose trees with foliage, fruit, bark, or branching habits that inspire you to look up.
- Try vines. Grow them on strings into trees, on freestanding trellises, up fences, or on tepees.
- Feed the birds. They create an instant sense of freedom or space and will pull your attention into the trees or the sky.
- Install a weather vane. Whether on a low post or stump or higher on a shed or rooftop, it helps you notice the wind and sky.
- Choose vertical fence designs.
- Plant some tall poles or pillars. Mount a birdhouse on top, or hang planters on them.
Continued on page 4: Make Space for Reflection