A few key decisions transform a large space into a series of intimate outdoor rooms.
- A single flooring material keeps the patio -- which contains three separate spaces -- from feeling frantic.
- Built-in and freestanding furniture can be used in tandem to delineate spaces. Here, a bench orients guests around a built-in fire pit.
- If style and temperament demand, a few touches can add a welcome touch of whimsy, as the little spots of grass around the fire pit demonstrate.
- On a patio, directing the view is important. Here, the bench urges guests to look outward to the rest of the yard.
- In place of plain block or concrete, a subtle tile mosaic weaves through the built-in bench.