A pretty bed provides blooms without hogging water.
- Water runoff typically happens on sidewalks and other hardscapes. Minimize moisture waste by planting a strip next to walkways.
- A quick way to reduce water loss: Reduce the amount of grass, which requires tons of moisture, particularly during hot-weather months of July and August.
- If certain plants require a bit more water, plant them together in containers to concentrate their moisture needs.
- Very tall containers elevate plants to add height to a garden.
- The easiest way to conquer drought-prone garden areas is to plant flowers that don't require a lot of water to thrive -- lavender, for example.