BHG.com / Gardening / Gardening by Region / Gardening in the Northeast / November Gardening Tips for the Northeast
- Drain the gas from power tools. Run the gas out of the lawn mower.
- Service the mower now so it's ready to go in spring. Sharpen the blade, pull the spark plug, and replace the air filter. Change the oil in spring.
- Clean metal tools by removing rust and oiling blades.
- Sharpen and lubricate cutting tools.
- Sand wooden tool handles lightly and rub linseed oil into wood.
- Start your snow blower so it's good to go when the flakes start piling up.
- Lay in a supply of plant- and hard-surface-friendly ice melt.
Test Garden Tip: Give the lawn one last cutting before snow flies. Cut grass shorter -- short grass is less susceptible to snow mold.