This is a very simple box to construct, with only straight cuts required. The minimum layout requires only 3 feet of 1 x 10-inch pine. A stronger box can be made by positioning the patterns so the wood grain is parallel to the longest side of each piece.
Cut from wood 3/4-inch thick; all measurements are height x width.
- Top: 7-1/2 x 9-1/4 inches
- Front: 4-15/16 x 9-1/4 inches
- Back: 5 x 9 inches
- Sides (2): 6-1/2 x 9-1/4 inches
- Bottom: 5 x 5 inches
- Predator guard: 4-1/8 x 5 inches Hole diameter:
- 1-1/2 inches for Eastern bluebirds
- 1-9/16 inches for Mountain or Western bluebirds Hardware:
- 8 x 1-1/2-inch wood screw
- 1-3/4-inch galvanized nails
See the plan on the last page for construction details.
Continued on page 2: Bluebird Basics