Put a mixture of your favorite
flowers in this easy window box.
This box requires moderate woodworking skills. Simplify construction by leaving off the box's fretwork; instead nail three mitered strips of crown molding underneath the 1 x 2 that rests atop the box. Or simply leave off the fretwork. The materials list is based on a 5-foot-wide box. If you want a wider or narrower box, adjust the amount of lumber.
What You Need (for a 5-foot-wide box):
- 17 feet redwood or cedar 1 x 8
- 14 feet redwood or cedar 1 x 2
- 30 feet door stop molding or 3/4 x 3/4-inch strips
- Two 8 x 10 metal shelf brackets
- Four 8-3/4-inch rust-resistant screws for attaching brackets
- 1-1/2-inch rust-resistant finishing nails
- 2-inch deck screws for assembling the basic box
- Three 3-1/2-inch deck screws or lag screws for attaching the box to the building
- Exterior oil-base primer
- Exterior latex paint