Garden herbs of any sort are right at home in these glimmering pots decorated with painted clay leaves.
1. Download the free pattern. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Place a piece of waxed paper on work surface. On waxed paper, roll out clay to about 3/16 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out leaf shapes. (You can cut out shape with a sharp knife if you do not have a cookie cutter.)
3. Carefully pick up leaf shapes and press onto the pot, gently shaping to the curve of the pot. While leaf is on the pot, press in lines for detail using a knife. Carefully remove the leaf shapes from the pot and gently lay onto cookie sheet, maintaining the leaf shape so it will fit the pot later. Let the clay dry at least one day, until it does not feel cool.
4. Bake the clay leaves in the oven according to instructions on clay label. Let the leaf shapes cool before handling.
5. Paint the leaves green and the saucer a solid color, such as metallic green or copper. Let the paint dry.
6. To paint the pots, place the desired colors of paint on a foam plate. Soak sponge in water and squeeze out excess. Dip sponge in paint and dab onto the pot surface. Alternate with different colors, rinsing paint from sponge each time you change colors. Dab the clean sponge onto the wet paint until the colors are blended. Let the paint dry.
7. Place a small dab of adhesive onto the back side of the leaves and glue onto the painted pot as desired.