How to Make a Kids' Bench
Turn cleanup time into fun time with this simple kids' bench project.
What You Need
- Upper kitchen cabinet
- Bun feet
- Wood block
- Staple gun
- U-shaped bar brackets
- Robe hooks
How To Make It
- Find an upper cabinet unit that measures about 16 inches high and 12 inches deep.
- Add bun feet to the bottom to raise it off the floor. To install, screw the foot to the center of a wood block, then screw through the floor of the cabinet into each corner of the block.
- Finish the bench with a seat cut to fit flush with the back of the unit and to overhang 2 inches on the other three sides.
- Cut fabric to cover the seat (outdoor fabric provides a durable, stain-resistant covering). For fun, sew three fabrics together to create a bold, color-block top.
- Staple two layers of batting to the seat, then staple the fabric in place. You'll get the tightest fit if you lay the seat top facedown in the center of the fabric, then pull opposite sides to the back and staple. Keep pulling and stapling to create a snug, smooth fit.
- Extend storage up the wall with hooks screwed to painted 2x4s.
- To give the hanging bars an industrial look, slide the 2x4s through U-shape bar brackets and add robe hooks.