Bright fruits make these wreaths stand out. For a Southern feel, mix citrus fruits and magnolia leaves. Expecting an all-star holiday season? Ring colorful kumquats with laurel leaves.
1. Wire magnolia leaves to the grapevine wreath. Add them in clusters, working counterclockwise and pointing all the stem ends in the same direction. Pack the clusters tightly so the wreath looks very full.
2. Add the fruit. Secure the clementines, pomegranates, and apples on floral wire by pushing a piece of wire through the fruit from side to side. Twist the wire ends together tightly at the base of the fruit, leaving the wires long to form a tail. Referring to the photo for placement, position the fruits on the wreath, nestling them down into the magnolia leaves. Push the wire tail through to the back of the wreath and twist it around the grapevine. Cut off any excess wire so it's flush with the back of the wreath.
3. Secure with glue. Attach the kumquats and nuts to the wreath with hot glue and glue gun.
4. Make a loop for hanging. Fold a piece of floral wire in half and wrap it tightly around the vines at the back of the wreath.
1. Cut the branches of leaves into sprigs about 3 to 4 inches long. Lay one sprig along the outside of the brass ring and wire it to the ring, wrapping the wire along the lower inch of the stem. Do not cut the wire.
2. Add more to cover ring. Lay a second sprig over the stem end of the first, covering the wired portion. Wrap the wire down around the stem to secure it to the ring. Continue wiring sprigs in this manner until the brass ring is covered. Hide the stem of the last sprig under the top of the first sprig.
3. Make a circle of kumquats. Cut a length of wire to fit around the brass ring plus 6 inches. Thread the needle with the wire, then pierce a kumquat with the needle, going through the middle of the fruit from side to side (rather than from blossom end to stem end). Thread the kumquats onto the wire until you have enough to cover the ring. Wrap the wire ends together and cut off the excess.
4. Combine the two parts. Attach the kumquat necklace to the leaf-covered brass ring with additional wire, carefully working it between the kumquats.