Expert Advice: Sealer Secrets
Painting expert Brian Santos reveals which surfaces require a sealer. Read more in his new book, "Painting Secrets."
- Any unpainted surface, including new plaster, drywall, and old woodwork that has been stripped.
- Bare open-grained woods such as oak and maple.
- Bare woods, such as redwood, that bleed through or discolor paint.
- Large areas of wallboard joint compound or patching plaster.
- Masonry surfaces like unglazed brick, cinder block, and concrete.
- Metal surfaces; use an oil-based primer-sealer with rust inhibitors to prevent corrosion.