See the floorplan below and read our furniture placement tips to get ideas for arranging pieces in a multipurpose room.
- Find a focal point -- a fireplace, a large window, or an entertainment center -- and build the furniture design around it. The focal point should be anchored to a wall. Move your furniture away from the walls to create an intimate grouping.
- Place chairs no more than 8 feet apart to encourage conversation.
- Position a table within reach of every seating piece. If possible, place a lamp near each seating area.
- Allow ample legroom by placing the coffee table 14 to 18 inches from the sofa.
- Choose side tables that are about as tall as the arm of the chair or sofa they are serving.
- Create traffic lanes that are several feet wide to allow easy movement through the room.
Continued on page 2: