Pretty Butterfly Wall Art
Polymer clay transforms into fluttering butterflies to create this amazing three-dimensional artwork.
Bring a burst of life to the space above your mantel, entryway, or desk with this gorgeous butterfly wall art. Carefully cut each winged creature out of thinly rolled white polymer clay with a craft knife. For a three-dimensional look, keep a few butterflies flat while bending others to appear in motion. After being baked, apply the clay butterflies to the wall in a circular pattern for a beautiful buzzy display.
What You Need
- Computer and printer/photocopier
- Polymer clay
- Rolling pin
- Aluminum foil
- Craft knife
- Ovenproof glass or metal pan
- Double-stick foam rounds (available at crafts stores)
- Download the butterfly pattern, resize it as desired with your photocopier, and cut them out.
- Knead and thinly roll out the polymer clay. Place the templates on the rolled-out clay and lightly trace around them with a craft knife. Carefully cut out the polymer butterflies using a craft knife.
- Shape some butterflies so they appear to be in motion; leave others flat.
- Bunch up aluminum foil and place under wings on a baking sheet to keep wings upright.
- Bake the butterflies on an ovenproof glass or metal surface at 275 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Adhere to the wall with double-stick foam rounds or other removable tape.