What You Need
- Painters tape
- ½-inch soft-bristle paintbrush
- Speedball Mona Lisa Metal Leaf Adhesive
- 1-inch soft-bristle paintbrush
- Speedball Mona Lisa Spray Sealer
continue reading below
What You Do
- Make sure the item you are leafing is clean and dry. Use painters tape to cover areas you want to leave bare. Press edges of tape down with a ruler or credit card to seal.
- Following package directions, use ½-inch brush to apply a thin layer of adhesive to exposed areas. Let dry until tacky (about 30 minutes).
- With clean, dry hands, cut copper leaf to shape and size desired (keep leaf on tissue paper backing). Lay leaf facedown on exposed area of object. Gently rub tissue paper with your fingers to encourage copper to adhere. Use 1-inch brush to gently wrap copper around edges of object.
- To fill gaps where adhesive is still tacky, cut leaf to fit, lay it on, and gentylt brush in place. To fill gaps where glue is no longer tacky, repeat steps 2 and 3.
- Spray object with sealer and let dry.
Note: Copper leaf is not food safe. Use it on decorative objects only.