If you can't find a shaped horizontal border, make your own by cutting around shapes in a standard border. Coordinate the positions of the stripes with the horizontal border design.
What You Need:
highlight a corner.
- 3 hollow-core doors
- 4 coordinating wallpaper coverings, including a horizontal border and a narrow border that can be applied as stripes
- Wallpaper adhesive (optional)
- Vinyl-to-vinyl adhesive
- 6 double-acting hinges with hardware
- Tack cloth
- Crafts knife
- Straightedge or ruler
- Screwdriver or drill with screwdriver bit
1. Sand and prime doors. Sand doors and wipe clean. Apply two coats of primer, sanding lightly between coats.
2. Add main wallpaper. Cover entire door with main paper (in this example, solid blue), following manufacturer's directions. Fold corners gift-wrap style and wrap to back. Cut piece exact same size as door and apply to back, covering wrapped edges. Repeat with the other two doors.
3. Add contrasting border. Cover top 8 to 10 inches in same manner using contrasting paper. Cut border to be used as stripes to fit from bottom of top border to bottom of door. Apply to door with vinyl-to-vinyl adhesive. Add horizontal border to cover joint between top border and stripes. Repeat for the other two doors.
4. Add hinges. Set screens on floor in upright position with right sides facing same direction. Use paint cans, concrete blocks, or other heavy items to keep the screens upright. Mark positions of hinges, spacing them evenly. Install three hinges on each pair of doors according to package directions, making sure screen sits level.
5. If necessary, plane door bottoms so they are perfectly level.