Magazine-Page Frame and Storage Box
Recycle your old magazines by crafting this one-of-a-kind frame and box, perfect for gift giving.
continue reading below
- From magazine pages, cut 1/2-inch-wide strips long enough to wrap around a drinking straw.
- Tape one strip end to each straw at an angle. Wrap strips around straws in a spiral, overlapping edges so the straw does not show through. Tape ends in place.
- Coat paper-wrapped straws with decoupage medium; let dry.
- For frame, coat cardboard with a thick coat of decoupage medium. Place paper-wrapped straws next to the other on the cardboard, aligning one straw end with an edge of the cardboard; let dry.
- Measure the four frame front pieces. On the back of the covered cardboard piece, use a ruler and pencil to mark strips slightly wider than the four frame front pieces. Use scissors to cut out strips of straw-covered cardboard. Piece strips if needed to cover the frame front.
- Hot-glue the straw-covered cardboard strips to the frame front, trimming as needed. Brush on another coat of decoupage medium; let dry. Place a picture in the frame.
- For the box, cut magazine strips to cover the outside of the box and the edge of the lid. Use decoupage medium to adhere the strips to the box; let dry.
- Wrap straws with magazine strips as described in steps 1-3.
- Apply a thick coat of decoupage medium to the top of the lid. Cover the lid with paper-wrapped straws, placing them so they overlap the edge; let dry.
- Use scissors to trim the straws even with the lid edge. Brush on another coat of decoupage medium; let dry.