Monogram Ribbon Embroidery Pillow
Promote signature style with an oh-so-dainty floral spray embroidered monogram.
- Initial rubber stamp
- Water-erasable ink pad
- Sheets of white paper
- Teal douppioni silk pillow
- 6-inch embroidery hoop
- Needles: embroidery, #20 chenille, #10 beading
- Buttonhole silk-twist thread: green
- Cotton embroidery floss: pink
- 4-millimeter silk ribbon: pink, light mauve, deep mauve, pale yellow, purple, pale blue, and variegated green
- 7-millimeter silk ribbon: gold
- 2-millimeter white or ivory pearls
- Beading thread
- Cotton swabs
- Teal sewing thread
continue reading below
- Open the seam at the bottom of the pillow and remove the stuffing. Lay the rubber stamp, design side up, on a hard surface. Press the ink pad onto the rubber stamp. Practice stamping the image onto white paper to ensure that the stamp is properly coated with ink. When you're comfortable with your stamping, determine the center of the pillow front and stamp the initial onto the center of the pillow. Place the pillow front in the embroidery hoop with the initial centered.
- Thread the embroidery needle with a 20-inch length of green silk-twist thread; knot one end. Stem-stitch the outline of the initial and the small stems and make lazy-daisy-stitch leaves.
Make woven rose stitches using pink cotton embroidery floss and one or more of the 4-millimeter silk ribbons in pink, light mauve, and deep mauve. Stitch loop stitches with 7-millimeter gold silk ribbon. Use assorted silk ribbons and the ribbon stitch to make remaining flowers and buds.
Embroider all leaves with the ribbon stitch and 4-millimter variegated green silk ribbon.
Add the French knots using all the colors of 4- and 7-millimeter silk ribbon, loosely wrapping the ribbon around the needle one time.
Use beading thread and the beading needle to attach a pearl to each gold loop stitch and rose.
- When the embroidery is complete, remove any visible stamp marks with a dampened cotton swab. Insert the stuffing back into the pillow. Slip-stitch he opening closed with matching sewing thread.