- 15-inch-square purchased pillow with ruffle
- 1/2 yard of 45-inch-wide sheer cotton batiste fabric
- 1 yard each of turquoise, yellow, magenta, and green medium rickrack
- Turquoise, yellow, magenta, green, and white sewing thread
1. Cut five 3-1/4x18-inch strips of batiste fabric.
2. On two strips, prepare a narrow hem along one long edge by folding under 1/8 inch and pressing; turn under 1/8 inch again and press. On the remaining three strips, prepare a narrow hem along both long edges.
3. Cut two 18-inch lengths from each color of rickrack. Use white thread to machine-sew a length of rickrack to each folded edge of the batiste fabric, catching only the tips of the points.
4. Referring to the photograph, lay out the strips, matching rickrack colors. Beginning with a piece of batiste with only a single edge of rickrack, match the colors and align the points. Tack the adjoining points together with matching thread. Repeat to join the other colors.
5. Press the completed design and trim it into a 15-1/2 inch square (or 1/2 inch larger than the pillow you're using). Fold under and press 1/4 inch on each outside edge.
6. Center the pieced batiste on the pillow top, pinning it in place. Hand-stitch around the edges.