Details make all the difference in this quilted bolster. Purchased quilted fabric lends a foolproof hand-quilted look. Use beaded pom-pom trim, looped tassel cording, and covered buttons to dress up each end and give the pillow stunning refinement. To mimic the winding ivy of the chair fabric, silver beaded cord is stitched around the pillow center.
Cut the fabric:
From purple quilted fabric, cut:
One 34x21-inch rectangle for the pillow body
From beaded pom-pom trim, cut:
Two 42-inch lengths
Assemble the pillow:
- Aligning raw edges, sew the long ends of the pillow body together to make a tube-shape cover; turn right side out.
- Insert the pillow form, centering it in the cover. Using knotted lengths of upholstery or carpet thread and a hand-sewing needle, baste along the cover's raw edges; pull the threads to tightly gather the ends. Hand-sew the gathers in place and cut off excess fabric.
- Fold each beaded pom-pom length in half. Aligning raw edges, hand-sew a doubled beaded pom-pom length to each end of the pillow.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions to cover two buttons with purple fabric.
- Cut the tassel cord in half. Referring to the photograph, shape one cord into a triple-sided loop as shown in the photo and hand-stitch it over the gathered end of the pillow. Repeat on the opposite end of the pillow.
- Hand-stitch the beaded cord onto the pillow center in a winding pattern.