Golden yellow is a color that "plays well with others." So these pillows are perfect in combination with other colors, or, as shown here, clustered in groups.
Swirls of ribbon and a liberal sprinkling of mother-of-pearl buttons add whimsy to this basic bolster. The ribbons -- gold on top of yellow, twisted for a two-tone effect -- were sewn in place with the buttons for a striking embellishment.
- 1 yard of yellow cotton fabric
- 15 yards each of two 5/8-inch-wide coordinating ribbons
- Buttons (this pillow required seventy 5/8-inch-diameter buttons and eighty-one 7/8-inch-diameter buttons)
- 1-1/2 yards of 5/32-inch cord (for piping)
- 6-1/2 x 13-inch bolster pillow form or polyester fiberfill
- Scraps of batting (optional)
- From fabric, cut a 15 x 23-inch rectangle for bolster center, two 6 x 23-inch rectangles for ends, and enough 1-1/2-inch-wide bias strips to measure 1-1/2 yards for piping.
- Cut twenty-two 18-inch lengths from each ribbon. Align ribbons in pairs, using one of each color. Evenly space ribbon pairs along one long edge of the 15 x 23-inch rectangle, keeping the ribbons 3/4 inch from short edges; sew ends of ribbons along the long edge. Make eight twists in the first ribbon pair; pin loose ribbon ends to the opposite long edge of rectangle. Arrange seven 7/8-inch-diameter buttons along twisted ribbon; sew each to rectangle through ribbon. For the second ribbon pair, make seven twists and use six 5/8-inch-diameter buttons. Continue twisting the ribbon pairs in this manner until all ribbons are sewn to the rectangle. Sew along second long edge to catch ribbon ends.
- Sew piping, then cut in half. Pin piping to one long edge of the 15 x 23-inch rectangle so raw edges are aligned and rounded edge faces inward. Sew piping to the rectangle using a zipper foot pressed snugly against the piping. Sew remaining piping to the opposite edge of the rectangle.
- For casing, press one long edge of each 6 x 23-inch rectangle under 3/4 inch twice; unfold. Sew the remaining long edge of each 6 x 23-inch rectangle to a long edge of the 15 x 23-inch rectangle. Fold the assembled piece in half with right sides together to form a 26 x 11-inch rectangle, aligning the pressed casing lines. Sew, leaving 3/4-inch openings 1-1/2 inches from the top and bottom edges. Press the seam allowance open; turn right side out. Refold casings, edgestitch in place. Cut the remaining ribbons in half; align the ribbons in pairs, using one of each color. Thread a ribbon pair through each casing until ends are even.
- Insert a bolster pillow form or stuff with polyester fiberfill. If desired, cut circles from batting and place over ends of pillow form to fill out ends of bolster. Pull ends of ribbons, and tie in bows to close bolster. Sew buttons 1 inch from end of ribbons.
Continued on page 2: Pretty Patchwork