Easy-Sew Place Mat Pillow
Turn finished-edge place mats into cute pillows with our step-by-step instructions.
0 did it
What you'll need:
- Straight pins
- Two 16-inch lengths of 1-1/2-inch-wide grosgrain ribbon in color similar to mats
- Pair of solid-color fabric place mats
- Sewing machine and thread
- Five 1-1/2-inch diameter buttons
- Embroidery thread in darker shade than mats
- Hand-sewing needle
- Polyester fiberfill
continue reading below
- Pin both ribbon pieces to a place mat. Space them 1/2 inch apart and no closer to the edge of the place mat than 5 inches; wrap ends to the back of the mat. Stitch ribbons in place along the edges.
- Use embroidery floss to sew buttons equally spaced between the ribbons. Emphasize the vertical motif by stitching from the outside of each button to the center, as shown.
- Machine-stitch free-form circles around each button five or six times.
- Pin the place mats together with wrong sides facing. Stitch together with a 1/4-inch seam allowance and leaving a 6-inch opening. Stuff the pillow with fiberfill; sew the opening closed.