Colorful Yo-Yo Pillow
Sew up colorful yo-yos for a sweet accent pillow.
- Thread a needle with matching or neutral thread and tie a knot about 6 inches from the end.
- Place an assorted print circle facedown, and turn the raw edge a scant 1/4 inch toward the center.
- Take small, evenly spaced running stitches near the folded edge to secure it. End stitching next to the starting point; do not cut thread.
- Gently pull the thread ends to gather the folded edge to make a yo-yo. Knot and trim the thread. Repeat to make 36 yo-yos total.
- Referring to Pillow Back Assembly Diagram, join the remaining four assorted print 5-inch squares in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make the pillow back. Press seams in one direction. The pillow back should be 9-1/2 inches square including seam allowances.
- Layer the pillow back, a batting square, and a muslin inch square; baste. Quilt as desired. In the same manner, layer and quilt the remaining two muslin squares and batting square to make a quilted pillow top.
- With right sides together, sew the quilted pillow top to the quilted pillow back to make the pillow cover, leaving a 3-inch opening along one edge for turning. Turn the pillow cover right side out. Stuff with fiberfill through opening. Whipstitch the opening closed.
- Lay out yo-yos in six rows. When pleased with the arrangement, whipstitch yo-yos together, stitching about 1/2 inch along edges with right sides together. Join rows in same manner to make a yo-yo square.
- Center and pin the square to the quilted pillow top. Whipstitch the outer edges of the yo-yo square to the pillow top seam lines to complete the pillow.