Bright Felt Circles Pillows
Fashion one purchased blanket into two dotty wool pillows and a matching throw for a playful accent to your home decor.
What you'll need:
- Purchased twin-size (66x90 inches) blue wool blanket
- Eleven 6x13-inch pieces of assorted yellow, red, pink, orange, purple, green, and blue felted wool for circle appliques
- 5-1/2x12-inch piece of green plaid felted wool for rectangle applique
- 20-inch-square pillow form
- 16x12-inch pillow form
- Embroidery floss: yellow, red, pink, orange, purple, green, and blue
Finished throw: 60x66 inches
Quantities are for wool fabrics. All measurements include a 1/2-inch seam allowance.
Prepare the Throw
- Trim one edge of the blue wool blanket to make a 60-1/2x66" rectangle. Set aside the trimmed piece to make the pillows.
- Finish the cut blanket edge in the same manner as the original blanket. On the featured throw, the cut blanket edge was turned 1/2 inch to the back and blanket-stitched with blue yarn.
Cut the Fabrics
To felt wool, machine-wash it in a hot-water-wash, cool-rinse cycle with a small amount of detergent; machine-dry it on high heat and steam-press.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the order that follows. It is not necessary to add seam allowances to these applique shapes because felted wool won't fray.
From leftover blue wool blanket piece, cut:
Two 21-inch squares
Two 17x13-inch rectangles
From assorted yellow, red, pink, orange, purple, green, and blue wool, cut:
13 of Pattern A
12 of Pattern B
17 of Pattern C
Applique the Throw
- Referring to the diagram, evenly space nine assorted wool C circles across one short edge of the throw, starting and ending the circles 2 inches from the throw's long edges.
- Lay out six assorted wool B circles and seven assorted wool A circles atop the C circles. When you are pleased with the arrangement, pin the circles together.
- Pick up one stack of pinned circle appliques. Using two strands of contrasting floss, blanket-stitch around each A and B circle, stitching the stack together. Place the blanket-stitched stack back on the throw and blanket-stitch the C circle to the throw. To blanket-stitch, first pull your needle up at A (see diagram), form a reverse L shape with the floss, and hold the angle of the L shape in place with your thumb. Then push the needle down at B and come up at C to secure the stitch.
- Repeat Step 3 to applique each stack of pinned circles together, then to the throw.
Applique the Pillow Tops
- Referring to the photograph, evenly space six assorted wool C circles in two vertical rows on a blue wool 21-inch square, starting and ending the circles 3 inches from the top and bottom edges. The circle edges should be 5 inches from the wool square's side edges.
- Lay out four assorted wool B circles and five assorted wool A circles atop the C circles. When you are pleased with the arrangement, pin the circles together.
- Applique each stack of circles together, then to the blue wool square to make the square pillow top.
- Referring to the photograph, evenly space two assorted wool C circles on the green plaid wool 5-1/2x12-inch rectangle.
- Lay out two assorted wool B circles and one assorted wool A circle atop the C circles. When you are pleased with the arrangement, pin the circles together.
- Applique each stack of circles together, then to the green plaid wool rectangle. Place the green plaid wool rectangle on the blue wool rectangle, 4-1/2 inches from one short end. Be sure to allow for a 1/2-inch seam allowance along each long edge of the blue wool rectangle. Blanket-stitch in place to make the rectangular pillow top.
Complete the Pillows
- Layer the square pillow top right side down with the remaining blue wool square. Sew around all edges with a 1/2-inch seam allowance, leaving an opening along one side. Turn right side out through the opening and insert the 20-inch-square pillow form. Slipstitch the opening closed to complete the square pillow.
- Repeat Step 1 with the rectangular pillow top, remaining blue wool rectangle, and 16x12-inch pillow form to complete the rectangular pillow.