Vintage-Photo Keepsake Box
Protect treasured wedding mementos with this special keepsake box.
Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
What You Need:Place one of your favorite photos on the box lid.
- Square papier-mâché box with lid (ours measures 3-3/4 x 8-1/4 x 8-1/4 inches)
- Anaglypta wallpaper
- Tape measure
- Scissors: straight-edge; large, medium, and small scallop-edge
- Crafts glue and dish
- 2-inch sponge brush
- 1/8-inch hole punch
- Sewing thread and needle
- Vintage wedding photo
- 8-1/2 x 11-inch sheet of patterned scrapbook paper
- Crinkle wire
- Small bunch of synthetic flowers
- 8-inch length of 1/2-inch-wide ribbon
continue reading below
- Place the box lid, top side down, on the wrong side of the wallpaper. Use a pencil to trace around the lid. Measure the height of the lid. Use this measurement to draw a second set of lines beyond the traced lines, creating a larger square around the first square. Cut out the large square with the straight-edge scissors. Make diagonal cuts from the corners of the large square to the corners of the small square.
- Measure the distance around the base; add 1 inch for overlap. Measure the height of the base and add 2 inches. Use these measurements to cut a piece of wallpaper for the base sides. Place the box base on the wrong side of the wallpaper. Trace around the base. Use the large scallop-edge scissors to cut 1/2 inch inside the traced lines for the base bottom.
- Mix glue and a few drops of water in a dish until the glue is the consistency of light cream. Lay the box-lid wallpaper shape, right side down, on a covered work surface.
- Use a sponge brush to apply an even coat of glue to the paper shape, beginning at the center and working out to the edges. Center the piece of glued paper on the lid, smoothing from the center out. Fold the wallpaper down onto the lid sides. For each corner, fold and glue one of the points around the corner. Fold until the remaining point is even with the corner; glue in place.
- Apply glue to the wallpaper for the base sides of the box. Press the glued paper onto the base sides, keeping an even margin of paper at the top and bottom. Fold the margins into the box at the top and onto the bottom of the base, clipping at the corners. Apply glue to the box-base shape; center the shape on the bottom of the base, smoothing from the center out. Let the glue dry.
- Use the large scallop-edge scissors to cut a 1-1/2-inch-wide strip of scrapbook paper long enough to reach across the lid, the lid sides, and into the lid. Center and glue the strip on the lid.
- For the fan flower, cut a 2-3/4 x 14-inch strip of wallpaper. Trim one long edge of the strip with the large scallop-edge scissors. Use the hole punch to make a hole centered in each scallop. Beginning at a short edge of the paper, make accordion-style pleats at the center and edge of every scallop across the paper; finger-crease each pleat.
- Sew through the pleated paper on the straight long edge, pulling the thread tight to create the center of the flower. Glue the short edges of the pleated paper together, forming a circle. Glue the fan flower to the lid.
- Make a copy of an old wedding photo that measures about 2 x 2-1/2 inches. Use the small scallop-edge scissors to trim the edges of the photo. Mount the photo on scrapbook paper. Use the medium scallop-edge scissors to trim the scrapbook paper about 1/4 inch beyond the edges of the photo.
- Mount the scrapbook rectangle on wallpaper. Use the large scallop-edge scissors to trim the wallpaper just beyond the edges of the scrapbook paper. Punch a hole in the center of each large scallop.
- Cut several lengths of crinkle wire to frame the photo. Glue the wire ends behind the center top of the layered papers. Wrap the center of the ribbon around the stems of the flowers. Position the flowers at the center top of the photo; glue the stems behind the layered papers. Glue the layered papers to the center of the fan flower.