- 8-x-10-inch piece deep pink felted wool (flowers)
- Scraps of pink felted wool (flower centers)
- 6-x-8-inch piece moss green felted wool (leaves)
- 6-x-8-inch each of blue and lime green felted wool (pincushion)
- Embroidery floss: yellow, bright pink, dark green
- Bugle beads: lime green
- Cube-shape seed beads: pink
- Polyester fiberfill
- Pinking shears
5 x 3 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches
Cut pieces in the order listed in specific pincushion instructions. Machine wash it in a hot-water-wash, cool-rinse cycle with a small amount of detergent; machine-dry it on high heat and steam-press.
- 15 of Pattern C
- 3 of Pattern E
- 5 of Pattern D
- 2 of Pattern A
- 2 2-1/2-x-7-1/4-inch rectangles
1. Slightly overlap pointed ends of each deep pink wool C petal and baste ends together (Diagram 1).
2. Lay out five petals in a circle and position a pink wool E flower center atop overlapped petal ends (Diagram 1); baste. Using two strands of bright pink embroidery floss and stitching through all layers, hand-stitch eight pink cube-shape seed beads on flower center to make a primrose. Repeat to make three primroses total.
3. Referring to Primrose Placement Diagram and photograph opposite, lay out roses and moss green wool D leaves on a blue wool A oval; baste. Using two strands of matching embroidery floss, hand-stitch primroses and leaves in place.
4. Hand-stitch lime green bugle beads as desired on each lime green wool 2-1/2-x-7-1/4-inch rectangle, placing beads at least 1/2 inch away from wool edges.
5. With beaded sides facing each other, sew together short edges of lime green rectangles (Diagram 2). Carefully press seams open and turn right side out.
6. Lay appliqued oval atop joined lime green rectangles, aligning centers of oval ends with rectangle seams. Holding applique edges out of the way, use two strands of yellow floss to blanket-stitch pieces together, catching 1/4 inch of wool on each side. To blanket-stitch, pull needle up at A (Blanket Stitch Diagram), form a reverse L shape with floss, and hold angle of L shape in place with your thumb. Push needle down at B on blue wool and come out at C on lime green wool. Bring needle up behind the L shape and push it down at D on blue wool. Continue in same manner around oval.
7. Repeat Step 6 to sew remaining blue wool A oval to remaining edge of lime green joined rectangles, leaving an opening for stuffing. Stuff with fiberfill and blanket-stitch opening closed to complete primrose pincushion.
Continued on page 2: Hibiscus Pincushion